A dog should associate a backpacking bed with happy times and good things. With the right training and gear, a dog can carry his or her own bed, sleep comfortably, and enjoy spending time with you in nature.
Features for a good bed when your dog accompanies you on your adventures include lightweight, comfort, and durability. The fabric should be easy to wash and quick to dry. Dog beds are available in various shapes and qualities. The best backpacking dog bed will keep your four-legged friend comfortable and happy on the trail.
Choosing a travel bed or sleeping bag for your dog is fairly easy even though it does require some research to make the right choice for each individual dog. It is also a good idea to know what you are buying, if it is worth the money, and if the product is safe and reputable.
The best backpacking dog bed and sleeping bags are usually available in different sizes and typically labeled as small, medium, or large. Many dog owners tend to overestimate the size of the cover. Some of the dogs often like burrowing underneath the covers. The sleeping bag should be big enough for the dog to fit all the way under the cover.
Canine Hardware Pet Travel Bed
Portability is one of the main features you need for backpacking. Your canine friend should have the best bed possible, but one has to consider the weight. Many dog beds are designed for bigger dogs to carry the gear. Smaller dogs cannot always handle the weight.
Canine Hardware Pet Travel Bed is made with polyester micro fiber. The fabric has a soft and comfortable feel and dries easily. The material is water-resistant, durable, and the lightweight insulation provides great warmth.
- Perfect for large and small dogs: measures thirty by thirty-nine inches
- Bottom of bed is made with durable ripstop nylon
- Compressible bed unfolds into fluffy cushion
- Travel bed comes with a stuff sack
- The bed offers great support
- More portable than most regular beds
- Pet Travel Bed is only slightly smaller than an adult sleeping bag
Ruffwear Highlands Sleeping Bag
The Oregon based company strives to provide the best products for dogs. The Ruffwear Highlands meadow green sleeping bag is designed for adventure and comfort on the trail. The oval-shaped bag offers a side zipper to expand the surface area. The Ruffwear Highlands Sleeping Bag will enable your dog to enjoy a night of comfortable and warm sleep.
The bag is well-made and meets all the requirements a dog may need for camping with its owner. Ruffwear palisade’s pack is sold separately, but will allow your dog to carry the sleeping bag stashed inside the stuff sack. The weight of the bag is one pound and ten ounces, and the size is thirty-five by twenty-six inches. Features of the Ruffwear Highlands Sleeping Bag include:
- Machine washable
- Manufactured with an integrated pad sleeve . Landing pad fits into the sleeve
- The loops help secure the bed to the ground
- Stuff sack for storage of sleeping bag included
- Side zipper allows easy entry or when closed, retains body heat
- Polyester fabric is durable and water-resistant
- The dog will be protected from cold air and hard ground by synthetic insulation
- Sleeping bag is lightweight and compressible
Synthetic insulation offers great protection from most cold surfaces when camping. Ruffwear Highlands pad can be obtained separately and is perfect for additional protection against extreme cold such as snow or granite. The polyester fabric is durable and cleans with a shake.
- Durable surface of sleeping bag is water-resistant
- Stuff sack included
- Washable in cold water
- Integrated pad sleeve
- Large zipper opening
- Takes too much room in a backpack
Noblecamper 2 in 1 Dog Bed and Sleeping Bag
The Noblecamper 2 in 1 Dog Bed and Sleeping Bag is designed with a nylon Taslan interior and a durable ripstop shell outside. The sleeping bag and bed is ideal for extremely cold weather. The exterior of the bag is water-resistant, and the nylon liner is fast-drying and breathable. Features of the Noblecamper 2 in 1 Dog Bed and Sleeping Bag include:
- Made of durable top-quality fabric
- Excellent insulation from sides and ground
- Three stake-out loops for hanging it to dry or for securing the bed to the ground
- Convenient zipper to unfold the bed into a sleeping bag
- Stuff sack included
- Once compressed, the bag fits most dog packs
The ultra-light compressible bed transforms into a bag for backpacking trips or other adventures. Some dogs like to snuggle further in the bag when it is cold. Breeds with little fur and a low percentage of body fat cannot produce sufficient body heat to keep themselves warm. The 2 in 1 Dog Bed and Sleeping Bag are ideal for extreme cold temperatures. Canines also like to lay closer to the outside when it is hot. The nylon liner is breathable, and the dog will not get too warm.
- The 2 in 1 Dog Bed and Sleeping Bag is compressible and ultra-light
- Provides excellent insulation from colder environments
- Bed transforms into a sleeping bag
- Manufactured with water-resistant fabric
- The product is available in different sizes
- Larger than many other sleeping bags for dogs
The best backpacking dog bed and sleeping bag should be big enough for the dog to fit all the way under the cover. A sleeping bag and bed are the most convenient to use for camping trips or backpacking. The Canine Hardware Pet Travel Bed is perfect for small and large dogs.
The Ruffwear Highlands oval shaped bag offers a side zipper to expand the surface area. The Noblecamper 2 in 1 Dog Bed and Sleeping Bag is designed for comfort. A convenient zipper unfolds the bed into a sleeping bag. With Noblecamper you can get a bed and bag in the perfect size for your dog.