According to the Outdoor Industry Association, hiking has become one of the most popular outdoor activities in the United States. It is an excellent and healthy way of enjoying nature and spending quality time with family and friends. There are hundreds of major hiking trails in America, such as the scenic Cascade Mountain in Keene, New York, the beautiful Old Rag Mountain in Shenandoah National Park, Virginia, and the spectacular Jacks River Trail in the Cohutta Wilderness of Epworth, Georgia.
According to Tom Brown Junior, an American tracker, naturalist, and author, the basic plan for hiking or survival is food, fire, water, and shelter. When you are out in the wild, your equipment is all you have to rely on. The Osprey Stratos 24 Backpack is perfect for carrying your essentials on a day hike in hot or wet environments where keeping cool or staying dry is important.
Unique features of the Osprey Stratos 24 Backpack
The original name of Osprey backpacks was Santa Cruz Recreational Packs, and it has remained a leader in the pack market since the company was founded in 1974 by Mike Pfotenhauer. Osprey is well-known for its quality backpacks. The Stratos 24 has great features for organization, keeps your back ventilated, and carries loads comfortably.
The soft mesh back panel is unique in the day-pack market and is designed to keep you as dry as possible. The curved back panel is adjustable and creates a ventilation space between your back and the pack. It is a great feature for long days on the trail or warm summer hikes.
Stratos 24 offers a detachable rain cover in a compartment at the bottom of the pack. When the weather turns unexpectedly, you can protect your gear and backpack with the water-resistant cover.
Fit, comfort, and storage
The Osprey Stratos 24 can easily be adjusted and fit a torso of eighteen to twenty-two inches. To adjust the size you flip the pack over and loosen the strap. Slide the sternum strap up or down based on your torso length. The sternum straps can help you shift weight off your shoulders in order for the majority of the load to rest on your hips.
The shoulder straps are well padded, easy adjustable, and comfortable. The hip belt can fit waists of twenty-five to fifty inches securely, and is generously wide with two zippered pockets. It is directly attached to the back panel and can be adjusted. The zippers work smoothly, and the buckles are high quality. Osprey’s alloy frame provides an excellent structure to the backpack and prevents the pack from drooping under a load.
Osprey Stratos 24 is manufactured with a combination of 420 denier nylon covering the bottom and 210 of the same material on the back body. It has a tough build and provides a gear capacity of twenty-four liters or 1,465 cubic inches, and measures twenty-two inches by twelve inches. The pack weighs two pounds and twelve ounces and can carry a load of up to twenty-five pounds.
Osprey Stratos 24 Backpack checklist
The choice of the equipment depends a lot on the remoteness, trail conditions, and length of a hike. Other considerations for choice of hiking equipment may include temperature, bear spray, anti-venom, snakebite emergency treatment, insect repellent, food, clothes, and water. A hiker should always take more water and food than needed. Essential hiking gear includes:
- Sun hat, sunglasses, and sunscreen
- Torch or headlamp
- First-aid kit and blister kit
- Toilet paper
- Warm clothing
- Waterproof matches
- Extra food and water
- Map and compass
Osprey Stratos 24 Backpack offers two water bottle pockets, an internal hydration sleeve, and two pockets on the hip belt. For exterior storage, the pack provides a tall pocket along the pack body, a mesh pocket at the top of the backpack, and another small pocket to fit a headlamp.
Sturdy Stratos 24 Backpack and spectacular day hikes
Some of the best day hikes in the United States include:
- Angels Landing, Zion National Park, Utah, is an eight mile hike with the most amazing views of the Zion Canyon. This hike is not recommended to people with a fear of heights. Once you are on the narrow strip of the trail, the drop on one side is 1,200 feet and on the other side 800 feet.
- Precipice Trail, Acadia National Park, Maine, is more popular when the weather starts to warm up in spring. The trail offers an almost thousand foot vertical climb with ladders and iron rungs. The view from Champlain Mountain is breathtaking.
- Half Dome, Yosemite National Park, California, offers panoramic views. At the top, you are at an elevation of 8,840 feet, and the views are jaw-dropping.
- Highline Trail, Glacier National Park, Montana, provides alpine meadows with wildlife and wildflowers.
- Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado, is one of the most popular hikes in the United States. The trail begins in a dense forest and ascends to the highest point in the park. The hike allows you to enjoy the views of Peacock Pool and Chasm Lake.
It is important not to overload the Stratos backpack. The weight of the load should be well balanced. You can achieve more stability and achieve better comfort by distributing the weight. Sharp objects should not be packed close to your back. The compression straps can hold the backpack and prevent the load from swaying while walking.
- Suspended mesh back panel provides good ventilation
- Backpack is comfortable for carrying food and gear
- Adjustable torso
- Alloy frame
- Hydration compatible
- Excellent feature-rich set. Backpack includes rain cover, plenty of pockets, attachment points for ice axe and trekking poles
- Top quality
- The Osprey Stratos 24 Backpack is one of the heaviest daypacks on the market
This Stratos 24 Backpack features adjustable torso lengths for comfort and improved fit. The pack and gear are protected with an integrated rain cover. Osprey’s backpack is manufactured with well padded, comfortable shoulder straps. The back panel is fully adjustable and creates a ventilation space between your back and the pack. The Osprey Stratos 24 Backpack is perfect for carrying your gear on a day hike in hot, cold, or wet environments.